vai al contenuto della pagina vai al menu di navigazione

Field research

The Butrint Project, led by Enrico Giorgi from the University of Bologna and Belisa Muka from the Institute of Archeology of Tirana, in collaboration with the Butrint National Park, was born in 2015, in ideal continuity with Ugolini's past researches. Since the very beginning, the team of the Project worked to ensure that its excavations, topographical and photogrammetric surveys, mapping and analysis of the state of conservation and deterioration, could provide the scientific community with additional and accurate information about this complex and fascinating site. The comprehension of its history and stratification, assisted by the employment of the latest technologies, has always guided the project team during the excavation campaigns.

The Project deals with different topics of research:

  • Study, topographical and photogrammetric survey, and analysis of the state of conservation and degradation of the wall circuit.
  • Study of the Hellenistic and Roman necropolis of the city.
  • Study of the different phase of occupation on the Acropolis. 
  • Study of the pottery from excavations conducted on the site.
  • Reconnaissance survey of the territory, with particular attention to the fortified hilltop sites.
  • Lake Gate

  • Butrint Theatre

  • Butrint walls

  • Vagalati

Ugolini and his team on the step of the Butrint's theatre

Brief history of field research in Butrint

Modern accounts about the city of Butrint first appeared at the beginning of the 19th century, when between 1789 and 1808 Ali Pasha was able to take away many territories from Venetian control, building his fortress at the mouth of the Vivari Channel. Both France and England decided to make agreements with him and sent the French consul F. C. H. L. Pouqueville and the English colonel W. M. Leake, who published their diaries in 1824 and 1835, respectively, mentioning for the first time, after many years, the city of Butrint. However, it was only at the end of 1920s that Luigi Maria Ugolini, head of the Italian Archaeological Mission in Albania which started in 1925 financed by Mussolini, officially rediscovered the city and brought it back to light from 1928 to 1935. After his premature death, the Mission was lead by Pirro Marconi, from 1938, and then by Domenico Mustilli from 1941 to 1943, when the mission was stopped due to the World conflict. Another important contemporary source about the city is the account written by N. G. L. Hammond, who visited Butrint in 1932. 

After the Second World War, new researches started in Butrint under the direction of Hasan Ceka, the father of Albanian archaeology, with the collaboration of Dhimosten Budina, Kosta Lako, Dhimiter Çondi, Selim Islami and Skender Anamali and, from 1982 to 1986, Astrid Nanaj. With the ending of the communist regime, foreign archaeological mission where newly allowed to work in Butrint: from 1989 to 1994 Astrit Nanj and Katerine Haxhis directed a Greek-Albanian mission on the Acropolis; from 1993 to 2012 Richard Hodges, financed by the Butrint Foundation, directed a new important campaign in the city, focusing in particular on the Bizantine and Medieval history of the site; finally, from 2011 to 2013 David Hernandez directed the Roman Forum Excavation Project in the Greek Agora, Roman Forum and nearby buildings of the city.

Butrint was declared UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992.